The Duplicate Check feature allows you to search for potential Contact and Group Record duplicates. If a duplicate record is found, you’ll be able to merge the matched records or choose to ignore the match and hide it from duplicate results.
Contact Record Duplicate Check: The Contact Record Duplicate Check searches all CIDs and compares for:
- Exact Match of “First Name” AND “Last Name” (Primary)
- Exact Match of “Email Address” (Primary)
- Exact Match of “Phone Number” (Primary)
- Exact Match of "Address" (Full Primary)
- Exact Match of "Last Name only" (Primary)
Group Record Duplicate Check: The Group Record Duplicate Check searches all GPIDs and compares for:
- Exact Match of “Address” (Primary)
If a duplicate is found, you can choose to:
- Merge the records into a single record
- Hide the duplicate result from the current search (These duplicate records will display again when you run another duplicate check)
- Permanently hide the duplicate result from appearing in all future duplicate check searches
Merging Duplicate Records: To merge duplicate records, click the Merge button. An overlay will display that allows you to select the “Winning” record. Whichever CID is selected as the "Winning" Record will be updated with the transactions, activity, communications, notes, and other information from the "Losing" record. After the merge is complete, the "Losing" record will be deleted from the database. (Read here for more information on what information can be transferred from the "Losing" record to the "Winning" record)
Note on Duplicate Match Process:
Only 2 records at a time are presented as a match, even if a record might have multiple matches.
(i.e. Record A potentially matches Record B (reason - Email Match)
Record A potentially matches Record C (reason - Phone Number Match)
Record B potentially matches Record C (reason - Name Match)
The option to “Hide” a potential match or “Merge” a potential match will be presented. If Merged, all other presented Records in the Duplicate match will be hidden.
- Record A potentially matches Record B (reason - Email Match)
- Action is taken to Merge.
- Record A potentially matches Record C (reason - Phone Number Match)
This presentation is hidden because Record A is already matched with Record B. A new duplicate search needs to be run in order to see if the newly merged record still matches Record C.