The Flipcause LIVE app allows you to use your mobile device to process payments and email automated tax receipts and thank yous to your supporters, along with recording those transactions and contacts recorded into your Flipcause database.
This means that you may use the Flipcause LIVE app to check out auction winners at your events. For this, we recommend the following process as a workaround.
BEFORE YOU START
Configure Your Settings
You'll want to make sure your payments have the right settings:
- that they come through at the correct tax-deductible amount,
- that they have the correct sales tax,
- that they get applied to the correct campaign,
- that you know what items the payments are for,
- that the automated tax receipt and thank you that your supporter receives look the way you want it to.
To do this, we'll want to set up at least one payment profile, or potentially a separate payment profile for each item at the auction. (Alternately, you may enter these details manually per each transaction to avoid setting up various profiles ahead of time.) Go to Payment Profiles and create a payment profile titled as the name of the auction item(s) you plan to take payment for, with the following settings:
- Select the campaign attribution you would like this payment to be applied toward.
- In the Item Value field, enter the fair market value in dollars for the amount of that payment which will not be tax-deductible. The tax-deductible amount will be calculated as the payment amount minus the item market value.
- In the Sales Tax Amount field, enter the percentage of sales tax, if any, to be charged for this item.
- Optional but recommended: configure your receipt custom thank you message in this profile.
Please note that tying a campaign to this payment profile does not transfer over any existing donation levels or settings from that campaign, nor does it transfer over any existing receipt custom messages from that campaign.
- Configure your Information Collection Settings - if you would like to collect your supporters' email, first and last name set the toggle to required. (Note: setting the toggle to Optional will give supporters the option to Skip entering their email, first and last name. If supporters SKIP entering their information, their transaction's email, first and last name be BLANK)
When you set up a Payment Profile you plan to use most often, you should set it as the default payment profile in your app for easy use.
Repeat these steps for any additional items you'd like to set up. You will want to set these up on each device you plan to use.
CHARGING FOR AUCTION ITEMS
Payment Amount & Info
Click Add a Payment button.
In the Payment Amount field, enter the winning bid price of the item(s) which you'd like to charge (keep payment frequency on ("one-time").
Make sure the right payment profile is selected under Select Payment Profile. You can also change the payment profile from here, or make adjustments to it by clicking view, making changes, and tapping Apply These Settings. (If you change the settings, you'll have to re-enter the donation amount).
In order to know what this payment is for later on, make sure to make any additional notes on this transaction including a description of which auction items it is for, and type these into the Add Internal Note field. These will appear in your reporting for later reconciliation.
Click Charge $__ button to proceed.
Donors will enter their email addresses and names on this page. Entering their information will send them an automated tax receipt and thank you.
If your supporter skips this step, their email, first name, and last name will be blank in your reports. There will be no way to trace this payment back to them from your Flipcause dashboard.
Choose whether they are paying in cash, check, or credit card.
You may enter the card number manually by clicking Card - Enter Manually. (Note: Payments entered manually are NOT included in the Guaranteed Effective Rate. Read here for full details on Mobile App Processing Fees.)
After the card is authorized, the page asking for the signature will show up. At this point, flip the device to face the donor and let them know that the fee coverage option is pre-checked, and they can uncheck it if they do not want to cover the processing fee. Ask for their signature.
If they are paying in cash, you can enter the amount of cash you are receiving (if more than the item amount) by clicking Custom and entering the cash amount received, and clicking Tender to calculate the change needed.
If they are paying with a check, you can enter the amount of the check along with the check number then click Finish.
IN-PERSON PAYMENT TRANSACTIONS
We understand how important it is to have payment functionality for in-person and live events. That's why we recommend using our text-to-give feature to assist and provide a hands-off opportunity for your supporters to engage with your organization. This feature is free with your Flipcause subscription, and many organizations have found much success in using this in replacement of card reader transactions!
If you want to learn more about our text-to-give feature, you can check out our article about it here.