Flipcause allows you to map a top-level domain (like www.yournonprofit.org) or a sub-domain (like donate.yournonprofit.org) to your Flipcause hosted campaign pages. The cost of fully white-labeling a Flipcause campaign site covers implementation and SSL certification for advanced security on your campaign site. (Click here for info)
To get started, you’ll need to create a CNAME record in your domain-hosted DNS settings (or have us do it for you). Follow the easy steps below to set up your domain registrar, and we’ll take care of the rest!
1. Purchase a domain name, or set up a subdomain.
2. Create a CNAME record (or have us do it for you).
3. Contact your Success Team once your CNAME record is set up.
4. Wait for an email confirmation that your domain masking is live.
1. PURCHASE A DOMAIN NAME OR SET UP A SUBDOMAIN
If you don't already own a domain name, you can purchase one from a domain registrar such as GoDaddy or Namecheap.
After registering your domain, decide if you want to use a particular subdomain for your Flipcause campaign page. For example, instead of www.yourdomain.org we suggest you use donate.yourdomain.org.
Do not use "www" as the subdomain, as it can create confusion with donors/fundraisers. Some ideas of subdomains to use for your Flipcause fundraising pages include:
fundraise.yourdomain.org, donations.yourdomain.org, donate.yourdomain.org, events.yourdomain.org, campaigns.yourdomain.org, etc.
Your flipcause.com campaign domain names WILL continue to direct to your campaign, even after the domain masking is complete. This makes it easy for you to white label a campaign after you’ve already begun sharing the existing link!
NOTE - Your CNAME/sub-domain will be permanent, so we recommend choosing a CNAME that can be used all year long.
2. CREATE A CNAME RECORD (or HAVE US DO IT FOR YOU)
Once you’ve set up your domain, go to the DNS Management section of your domain registrar. Here, you’ll need to add a corresponding CNAME record for that subdomain, and associate it with mask.flipcause.com. Changes to DNS records make take up to 48 hours to take effect.
(A CNAME or Canonical Name record is an entry within the Domain Name System (DNS) that specifies where a user can find your web pages or any other URL. You'll use the CNAME to associate your custom domain with your fundraising pages on Flipcause.)
A. TO HAVE US DO IT FOR YOU:
Please provide your success manager with your login credentials for your domain registrar. We’ll set up your CNAME record for your desired domain or subdomain to point to Flipcause servers.
The info we’ll need from you is:
- Your domain registrar (e.g., Namecheap, Godaddy, Domains.com, etc)
- Your domain registrar username
- Your domain registrar password
- Your desired domain or subdomain
- The link to your Flipcause campaign page that you’d like white-labeled
Once you send this information to your success manager, our domains team will make the changes to set up your custom domain or subdomain. We will then take the necessary steps on our end to ensure the SSL certificate is purchased, installed on our servers and the settings are complete. Once this is done (typically 3-4 business days), your success manager will notify you and your white-labeled campaign page will be ready!
B. TO DO IT YOURSELF:
Log in to your domain registrar's site, and locate the DNS Manager, Zone File Settings, or similar area of your control panel. Here you will create a CNAME record that points your domain to Flipcause. You'll generally see four fields:
Alias - Should be the subdomain you decided on; e.g. 'fundraise', 'support', 'donate', etc. (indicating that the donate.yourdomain.com record should point to Flipcause)
Type - Should be 'CNAME' (indicating that you would like to point to Flipcause by using its name)
Points To - Should be 'mask.flipcause.com'
TTL - Should be 1 hour, indicating the time to go live with the change
Below are instructions on how to set up a CNAME record on a couple of domain registrars. All registrars have a slightly different setup, so we recommend Googling “How to set up a CNAME record on [Your Domain Registrar]” or contacting your domain registrar’s technical support team for complete instructions.
- Log in to your account at www.godaddy.com.
- Open the Domains tab and select My Domain Names. You'll be directed to the Domain Manager page.
- Click the domain that you'd like to use with your blog.
- Click the Total DNS Control And MX Records link at the bottom of the section entitled Total DNS.
- Click Add New CNAME Record in the box labeled CNAMES (aliases). If you've already created a CNAME record for the address you want for your fundraising pages, click the pencil icon next to the existing CNAME record.
- For the Name, enter only the subdomain of the address you want to use for your fundraising pages. For example, if you picked fundraise.yourdomain.org as your address, enter fundraise here.
- Enter mask.flipcause.com as the Host Name. Specify a TTL or use the default setting of 1 hour.
- Click OK, and then click OK again.
- Log in to your account at https://admin.1and1.com.
- If it's not already selected, click the Administration tab.
- Click Domains. The Domain Overview page appears.
- From the New drop-down menu, select Create Subdomain. (If you've already created a subdomain for your fundraising pages, skip to step six.)
- Enter only the subdomain you want to use, and click OK. For example, if you chose fundraise.yourdomain.org for your fundraising pages, you should enter fundraise here.
- Select the checkbox next to the subdomain that you will be using. (Example: fundraise.yourdomain.org)
- From the DNS menu, select Edit DNS Settings.
- Click the radio button next to CNAME.
- Enter mask.flipcause.com next to Alias.
- Click OK.
- Log in to your account at No-IP.
- On the left side, click Host/Redirects.
- Click Manage underneath Host/Redirects.
- Click Add for a new entry, or click Modify and skip to step six for an existing entry.
- Enter the host name (example: fundraise from fundraise.yourdomain.org), and select your domain name.
- Select DNS alias CNAME at the host type.
- Enter mask.flipcause.com as the Target Host and click Modify.
3. CONTACT YOUR SUCCESS MANAGER ONCE YOUR CNAME RECORD IS SET UP (IF YOU CHOSE TO SET IT UP YOURSELF)
Once your CNAME is set up through your domain hosting settings, contact your dedicated success manager and notify them that you have completed the process. Our domains team will then take the necessary steps on our end to purchase an SSL certification, ensure the SSL certificate is installed on our servers, and point your campaign site to your desired subdomain or domain.
(NOTE: If you chose to have us do it for you, nothing is needed from you until we let you know that the domain masking is LIVE.)
4. WAIT FOR EMAIL CONFIRMATION THAT YOUR DOMAIN MASKING IS LIVE
Once you’ve notified your success manager that your CNAME record is set up (or once we’ve set it up for you) our developers will finalize the process on our end. Your new domain or subdomain will be live within 3-4 business days. Your Success Manager will send you an email to confirm when everything is all ready to go! We'll contact you the following year to see if you wish to renew your White Labeled Domain. Thanks!
As always, your Success Team is here for you every step of the way! Get support by sending us an email.